The school’s belief in respect of extra-curricular activities
- The school provides a valuable niche for students to grow and develop their individual potential.
- The school should provide the greatest room for students to develop, give them the most comprehensive and the richest learning experience.
- Learning in communal life is one of the many learning experiences, which cumulates in the student’s experience of growth and has a profound effect.
- Learning in communal life is not acquired through books but through authentic life experiences.
- The best learning experience is not gained by passive participation in school activities, but is acquired in situations shaped and initiated by the students.
Features of our extra-curricular activities
In designing extra-curricular activities, we aim to extend classroom learning and let students have a balanced development on knowledge, ability, attitude and values, so as to realize our objective in education, i.e. education on spiritual, moral, intellectual, physical, social and aesthetic aspects.Extra-curricular activities in the school can be grouped under five categories, namely academic, sports, music, art, interest and services. There are 21 clubs and societies, 12 sports teams, 12 music groups, 2 uniformed groups and a campus TV station, providing a wide range of extra-curricular activities for students.In sum, the school’s extra-curricular activities have the following features:
- Student oriented —— We believe that students are able to organize and promote activities. By doing so, they enjoy the activities more and develop leadership and acquire the skills necessary in organizing activities. To put the idea of student oriented into practice, a joint council of chairpersons is set up under the Students’ Union to monitor and steer the work of clubs and societies.
- Students’ Union Strong —— Our Students’ Union has a long history and a well–established tradition. Each year, senior students take active part in running for a seat on the Union. The Students’ Union organizes school-wide activities such as Charity Week and Post-Exam Activity Day, as well as community activities like fundraising carnivals.
- Training of leaders —— The Extra-curricular Activity Unit invites experienced social workers to give leadership training to students of different levels and different positions. The purpose is to let student leaders learn theories on leadership and strengthen confidence, and to practise what they have learned.
- Inter-school competitions —— To broaden students’ horizons, the school encourages students to take part in inter-school competitions. Many students take part in such competitions every year and record good results. Take 2009-2010 as an example, students took part in 28 inter-school competitions(involving 864 sudents), winning 177 prizes, of which 106 were the first, second or third prizes. Progress is being sustained.
List of Extra-curricular Activities (Year 2010-2011)
|Academic Activities||Sports Activities||Art Activities|
|Interest Groups||Service Groups||Uniformed Groups|
* Classes on Chinese musical instruments cover Guzheng, Erhu, Zhongruan & Liuqin, Bamboo Flute, Chinese lute,Yangqin; classes on Western musical instruments cover Violin, Viola, Guitar, Flute & Oboe, Cello & Double Bass, Trumpet, Trombone & French Horn, Clarinet & Saxophone, as well as Basson; the choirs include Intermediate Choir, Junior Choir and Boys’ Choir.