- The school uses English as the medium of instruction, providing a rich English learning environment for students. Before starts of the school year, S1 students have to attend a mandatory Summer English Program.
- The school puts emphasis on listening, speaking, reading and writing abilities of students in the both Chinese and English. Putonghua courses are offered in S1 and S2. Assemblies are conducted in English, Cantonese or Putonghua.
- The Multi-media Language Lab. and English room provide a well-equipped environment for language learning. All teachers of English Language and Putonghua have met the requirements of the Language Proficiency Assessment. Over 10 teachers have completed an internationally recognized ESL training to enhance their English teaching capacity.
Streaming policy – Cater for Learning Diversity:
- Small group teaching is practiced in English, Chinese and Mathematics in F.1. By small group teaching, students’ learning needs can be catered in a better way.
- Advanced Classes of English and Mathematics subjects are offered in F.2 and F.3. High achievers of these two subjects are taught at a quicker pace and are often recommended to various gifted programs organized by tertiary institutions, or the Gifted Education Section under EMB, inter-school competitions in Hong Kong or abroad. By doing so, students talent can be fully stretched.
- Enhancement groups of Chinese, English and Mathematics are also offered for selected students of F.4 as a kind of support and consolidation measures.
- Scholarships set up from donations of teachers and parents are awarded to the best performance and most improved students.
Student Learning Profile:
- As early as 2001, the school took initiative to replace the traditional Student Report Card with Student Profile as a record of student performance in all aspects. Not only the “academic attainment”, students’ performance in the “Extra-curricular activities “, “Extensive reading”, and “Project learning” are also recorded separately.
- Furthermore, the assessment on “Conduct” is based on the following 9 attributes in 3 aspects:
Personality; Abilities; Attitude
Honesty; Self-discipline; Courtesy; Thinking; Interpersonal relationships; Leadership; Learning attitude; Willingness to serve Initiative
- To fully understand the development of students and act as a useful reference for
future career development, the school keeps a Student Learning Profile for each student as a systematic record of students’ academic and non-academic achievement in their secondary school life.